Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ugh -- Palate Surgery

Dear Drew ~ Your daddy stopped by my office today. I said, "Drew's palate surgery is one month from today." He said, "I know." Guess we both had it on our mind's...

Your third surgery, which will close your palate, is scheduled for July 10, 2008 and I think I am dreading this one even more than the others. I would think this would get easier, but it doesn't. But just like we made it through the first two lip surgeries, we will make it through this one too!

You will have to be off of your bottle completely before the surgery. Right now you take three bottles a day -- one around 9:30am, one around 2:00pm, and the last around 8:00pm. This weekend, I started giving you your second bottle in a cup, which you weren't too happy about! I think I have tried every cup on the market! Remember, you have no suction so you can't get anything out of those "no spill" cups unless I take the valve out. My favs so far are the Nuby cup, the Dr. Brown cup, and just some little open top cups.

Here is a picture of you when you were 10 months old. You can see your cleft palate in it:

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Hi Krissy! I found your blog through a comment you left on Adalynn's blog! I'm happy to have found you!

Drew is so gorgeous!

You're right, you would think that after two surgeries, it would get easier, but it doesn't.

Rachel had a simple procedure down last October with having tubes put in her ears. Tubes in her ears! And it was equally as hard handing her over to the OR nurse. One of the things that is so hard now that she is older, is that I have to keep it together in front of her so that she doesn't get upset or frightened by seeing Mommy upset.

Good luck on transitioning to a cup. Rachel was able to go back to using her Haberman after her palate repair.

Anonymous said...

Love the last set of pictures. I am sending out good thoughts for you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Krissy,
You don't know me, I am a friend of Clarys and seen your name on her blog, I just want to tell you your little one is adorable. My good friend son was born like your little one and he just graduated from H.S. this year and he is such a good looking kid, he went through everything you are going through and it does get better. Hang in there and I will pray for your son.

Taffy

Jessica C said...

I am reaching out trying to find other families with children that have cleft lip or cleft palate or both. I just found out yesterday through ultrasound that my son has a cleft lip. I must admit I am struggling with emotions and trying to reign them in. If you can suggest any sites that helped you - please contact me at momma6299@aol.com.

Thank you - Jessica C