A couple that stick with me are "Jordan Nathanial" for a boy and "Nicolette Danielle" for a girl. Jordan Nathanial was from, who else, but Jordan Knight of New Kids on the Block!

And Nicolette was for Nicolette Sheridan, who (at the time) played on a show called Knot’s Landing that my mom use to always watch. I can’t remember where Danielle came from, but I’m sure it had significant meaning too – ha!

Then I remember becoming obsessed with the 1996 Olympic gymnastics team and adding Dominique to my list (after Dominique Moceanu). Yes, modern day culture definitely influenced the names I liked!

Daysha and I were also obsessed with playing Barbie dolls – probably for longer that the average girl! I can remember naming my girl Barbie “Cheryl” and her baby “Thea” after the baby on the Molly Ringwald movie “For Keeps.” Daysha remembers her fave Barbie names being Felica, Alechia, and Cynthia!

Well, when it came time to name my firstborn, I never dreamt of how hard it would be. I mean this is something that they are going to have to deal with for the rest of their lives, so it had to be perfect! I also never realized how picky Jon would be. It seemed like everything I came up with, he shot down. So we decided pretty quickly that we wouldn’t even begin talking baby names until we could at least narrow it down between a boy name or girl name. Once we found out we were having a boy, it didn’t get much easier. At some point, I gave in and went with a name that Jon came up with – Jonah. He liked it mainly because it had J-O-N in it like his name. My concerns -- what if people thought it was actually pronounced Jon-A (like Ava). And what if people called him Joanie??? Everyone was so sure that Baby B was going to be named Jonah, that I even got the wooden letters that spelt Jonah for the nursery at my shower! For some reason, though, I was just never 100% set on it…
Fast forward to a month or so before my due date…I suddenly started really liking Taylor Swift’s song “Teardrops on My Guitar,” which is about a girl who is secretly in love with a boy named what else but Drew! Hmmm, I kind of liked that, but did it sound ok with our one syllable last name? Well, there is that football player named Drew Brees...so I was sold on it! Now to just see what Jon thought... He seemed to think it was OK, but I know he was still secretly pulling for Jonah.

So now fast forward to the morning that I am heading to the hospital to be induced. Jon and I are still talking names on the way there. Is it going to be Drew or Jonah???? We couldn’t decide!!! (His middle name was going to be the same either way so we at least had that part figured out!)
Then I remember going in for my c-section that night (since my induction was unsuccessful) and right after he was born the doctor asked what his name was and Jon said “His name is Drew!” I just remember being out of it but turning to Jon and saying, “Are you sure????”
And that is how Drew became Drew!
It should come as no surprise, then, that we are have no names picked out this time around. I definitely want there to be some kind of family connection. Some things I’m keeping in mind…I would really like to use the first name of William if we have another boy after my mom’s dad (my papa who was like a dad to me!) that passed away in August of 2006. We would probably call him by his middle name though.
As for girl names, the names Catherine or Kay are strong contenders. Catherine was both my maternal and paternal great-grandmas' name! My maternal grandma’s name is Mary Catherine (she goes by Mary Kay), my mom’s name is Rhonda Kay, and my sister’s name is Whitney Catherine. I might spice it up a bit and spell it Kathryn or even just use Kae. My middle name is Ann so I've also considered using Annette for a middle name.
That’s about all I have for now. It should be interesting to see how long we take to decide on a name this time around!!


5 comments:
Hi Krissy! What a cute post! I loved all of the visual aides along the way :)Like I said on FB . . . I think it's a girl! When do you find out? So excited for you guys. Drew's going to make a great big brother! Take care!
How cool to hear how Drew was named! We had Isabel's name picked out months before she was born and we never wavered amazingly. We had also picked a boy's name before we found out she was a girl and you guessed it, the name was Lucas! So once we found out baby#2 was a boy we went with what Isabel would have been named had she been a boy! I thought about it a lot to see if any other boy names came to me but none were liked as much as Lucas. We were just meant to have an Isabel and a Lucas! :) Good Luck with the baby name game!
Cute pist!! Kate would be cute with Drew:)
We are having a tough time picking out names for this kiddo as well. We'll be lucky if we have a short list to take with us to the hospital!
P.S. I always loved the name Thea after For Keeps too :) I loved that movie as a teenager.
I loved hearing about how you came up with Drew's name. "Teardrops on my guitar" is one of my favorite songs, too! Matt and I had Gavin's name picked out long before he was born and we stuck with it. But picking a name sure is difficult because, like you said, they gotta stick with it for life!
Post a Comment