Since Jon and I are off from work all week (yay!!!) we both were able to take Drew to his 18 month check up today. 18 months...one and a half years...wow! I can't believe my little Drewby will be 2 in less than 6 months!!
Here is how Drew measured up today...
*Height: 33.5" (75th percentile) [However, when Jon and I marked him on our closet door on Thursday, we only showed him at 32"...hmmmm]
*Head: 48.5cm (Also 75th percentile)
*Weight: 23lbs 14.6oz (25th percentile)
Other things about Drew at 18 months old...
0 - the number of haircuts Drew has had.
1 - the number of naps Drew takes a day.
2 - the number of hours that one nap usually is.
3 - the number of surgeries he has had :(
4 - the number of states that Drew has visited (IL, IN, KY, and MO).
5 - the number of Grandmas Drew has to spoil him (along with 4 grandpas!)
11 - how many teeth Drew has.
12 - how many hours of sleep Drew usually gets at night.
And that was all I could come up with! I was hoping to do something for every number 0-18, but this was the best I could do!
-----------------------------
I am schedule obsessed (as I'm sure anyone who has ever watched Drew will tell you). We have had him on a pretty strict schedule since he turned 6 months old. Right now, it goes something like this...
8:30am - Drew wakes up (Although here lately he has been sleeping until 9 or even 9:30!!)
Breakfast about a half hour after he wakes up.
12:30pm - Lunch time
1:30 - Nap time
4:00 - Snack
6:00 - Dinner
7:15 - Bath
8:15 - Snack
8:45ish - Bedtime
We always try to be home (or somewhere that Drew can sleep) at nap time. So if a birthday party starts at 2:00, we just tell them that we'll be there after nap time! I'm sure something this strict wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for us and Drew seems to like the consistency.
----------------------------
After his check-up today, we headed to Sear's for an 18 month picture. I counted up how many times Drew has been photographed professionally, and this was the 11th time! (Only the third time with Sear's.) He didn't do very good at all, but all I was looking for was one picture. There was one that wasn't too bad (even though he was holding onto a horse) -- not his best, but it will do! Picture coming soon!!
Welcom Barret & Hayes
13 years ago


4 comments:
Happy 18 Months Drew boy! I swear he get's cuter each and everyday. Love the flashback pics from last year. Nothing but smiles. :o)
Hi Krissy,
We've had our fair share of comments and questions about Abby's cleft. There's one incident that will always stick with me. A little boy noticed Abby's lip (before her repair) and said "That's so weird! What's wrong with her?" I stayed calm and explained to him about her cleft, that she would have surgery and soon her lip would look like his and mine. Unfortunately he continued taunting us, pulling his own lip up and down, complete with sound effects. I told him that what he was doing wasn't very nice and he needed to stop. He continued, until his dad finally walked over as I was repeating myself to please stop, and his dad just shrugged his shoulders and said "Heh, c'mon Shane!" All I could think was, what a missed opportunity for this father to step in and teach his son a little compassion. But after seeing that from the dad, I wasn't at all surprised at the boys behavior.
I'll always remember having conversations with our social worker at Children's before Abby was born, about what to do when somebody has questions or remarks about her lip. She told me that my attitude and the way I handle myself in these situations will set the tone for Abby and her self esteem when I am not there. It's up to us as parents to be up front and informative to others about our kids and their clefts. As long as Drew sees this example from you, I'm confident he will do great!!!
I'm sorry you felt bothered by the little girls comment. It's tough to be reminded that the world around us isn't always as accepting as we would like. Our beautiful cleft kids can help change that, even just a little bit of change is a step in the right direction.
Oh, and by the way, we haven't done the Chickenpox vaccine yet on either of the girls!
Ok.....11 teeth...wow! Send some to Reid. He will be 14 mos. this weekend, and he has 2 bottom and 2 top plus one molar. I think this is some of his sleeping issue. I think he is about to pop MANY teeth at the same time here. It could get ugly. : )
You know, the comments that I hear about Reid (esp. before his repair and during the NAM period) bothered me so much, too. The looks, the blurting out of comments that were sooo unappropriate from some, and the general pointing from other kids that noticed Reid as different bothered me at first. Then, I really thought about it, and these individuals probably did not realize what they were doing. Kids have always been curious...and I just decided to use Reid (when he was little) as a tool to teach them about clefts. It seemed to go over better when I would address their stares or comments when they thought I wasn't looking or able to hear. I caught some people off guard by addressing them...but I think it made them think about what they said and they realized that I COULD hear what they were saying about MY BABY! I decided from a long time ago...that I would always be an advocate for Reid and other cleft children...and hopefully someone will walk away from us more educated and a little less ignorant. Hopefully.
However, a chiropracter that I used to take the kids to...hurt me the most with a comment she made. I had known her for YEARS and had the kids their countless times. In fact, our kids had playdates together, and we were on a frienship level...not just a doctor/patient level. One day when I was in the office with both kids, she looked at Reid...and myself...and said to me, "I just can't stop starring at him. His lip is just so wierd." I was mortified and so hurt. I didn't have any words for her. Just tears streamed down my face. And I walked out. I have never been back. I don't have the words for her I guess. From a stranger, I could deal with comments better...from a friend...I was mortified and still have issues with this. Above all...our kids are beautiful, strong, perfect children. We are the lucky ones that know this and have them in our lives. Blessings to you all..
Post a Comment