Thursday, September 24, 2009

Raw Emotion

So it's no secret to any of you that Drew has struggled with his expressive language skills. Because of him being born with a cleft palate, it was almost like I didn't "expect" for him to talk at the same pace as others his age. Then a few months back, it kinda hit me...he's 2 years old, he's been in speech therapy for over a year and in all honesty, he has no real words. I was also seeing all of his cleft friends make big strides in their speech development.


That's when I started doing some research of my own and I came across this in my Toddler 411 book:


Speaking involves the movement of multiple muscles in the lips, tongue, jaw, and palate - if you think about it, this is a rather complex process. When a motor disorder prevents a child from forming words, that's called apraxia. Of course, adults may also develop apraxia after a stroke causes a brain injury. Kids who have "developmental apraxia" are born that way...and more boys have it than girls. These kids understand language (receptive language) but have trouble with getting words out (expressive language). Here are the red flags to watch out for with apraxia -- Incorrect rhythms and inflections in speech; Several attempts at saying the same word; and Difficulty saying longer words.


I talked to Drew's speech therapist Jaci about this because some of the "red flags" sounded like him to me, but she didn't think this was something to worry about. Tuesday, we (me, Jon, and Jaci) took Drew to see the speech therapist in St. Louis that is part of the Cleft Palate Team, where I thought we would get the "magic" solution to his problems. After observing him for a while, she said that she thinks Drew might have some motor planning/processing issues, which COULD lead to a diagnosis of a speech disorder (like apraxia). At this point in the game, though, he isn't really saying enough to diagnosis him with anything. So she wants us to continue with what we have been doing and to continue to focus on getting him to use his "m" and "b" sounds consistently. Because what is he doing right now? As an example, if you point to a picture of a bear and ask him what it is, he most likely will either say 'ah' or 'muh' but after further prompting and possibly me saying "bear," he will say something like 'buh' (his "b" sound). We need him to automatically make the "b" sound on his first attempt. He also has a hard time saying "bye bye" because it is two syllables.


When I came home Tuesday night, we put Drew to bed and Jon went to work on his Bronco. I sat here on the couch and just started to cry. And I couldn't stop. It was like finding out about his cleft all over again -- when I found out about his cleft I went through such a range of emotions and was finally able to come to terms with the fact that he was going to look a bit different from his peers, but I prayed that he would at least sound like everyone else, even though I knew we would have obstacles to face to get there. And now this. And while he was NOT diagnosed with apraxia or anything else on Tuesday, I still can't help but wonder if he will ever talk...not just talk normally, but just talk at all.


Today I went to my alma mater to recruit. Dozens of students stopped by to talk to me. My mind started racing -- how will Drew handle situations like this when he gets older? Will he not only have to worry about looking different but also sounding different too? Will he even be able to speak properly? I know, I know, I am getting ahead of myself, but that is just how I am and how I think. It's just hard to believe that my little boy -- my son -- could have not only a cleft lip and palate, but also a very serious speech disorder.


Should I post this??? Will I sound like I'm complaining??? Am I posting this too soon since nothing has really been decided??? Who knows, but I just needed to write this out, so I hope you were able to bear with me...


One final thought - I am so grateful that my son is here and healthy and I try to remember that everyday, but I can't help but to just want him to be as "normal" as possible...whatever that means...


But to end on a lighter note, who would ever be able to resist this face??





Awwww...I feel so much better now :o)

11 comments:

Candice and Colby Potts said...

Hey girl....you definitely aren't complaining!! You are such a great mom, and being a great mom means that you will worry...even if it's about things that you probably shouldn't worry about! We are praying for you, Jon and Drew! He's so adorable and everything will work out, just keep working at it and give him time! The Doctors did such a wonderful job with everything and time will prove to be on his side. I know that it's hard not to worry about it, but I do want to let you know something....when I was growing up a kid in my class had a cleft palate, and so did his sister....their's was very noticeable because back in the day doctors didn't have the resources like they do now. We never even gave it another thought, we never thought they looked different and never even treated them that way either....trust me, it's going to worry you more than it ever will him!

Allison said...

HUGS Krissy! It's good for you to get your emotions out in the open, that's why we're all here, to support each other. Please don't feel like you're complaining, your concerns are valid. You love your boy more than anything, and you want what's best for him. I completely understand when you say you feel like you were finding out about his cleft all over again. I've been through that feeling again too about Abby's cleft, when a family member said something that was extremely hurtful to me. That's what prompted my "Open Wound" post. It's okay to feel how you're feeling right now. Take a deep breath and just trust that you and Drew WILL make it through this, just like everything else you've made it through so far.

Take care Mama-You can do this!!!

Hug that darling sweet boy for me!

Michelle said...

He is only 2! Lots of kids don't talk until they are older. My nephew didn't say much at all until he was around 2.5 years old and it might take Drew a little longer b/c of all he has been through. I know it is hard not to worry, we all do, but give it time! I bet a year from now he is going to be talking your ear off. Hang in there!

Nola said...

You are doing the two best things you can do: teaching Drew and being his advocate! Isn't it so hard though?! He is SO cute!!

Adawk said...

This is what being a parent is all about, protecting them, defending them, and doing whatever you have to do to make sure they will be ok.

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

Being a mom is HARD!!! And I have learned (more times than I would like to count) that NOBODY knows our kids like we do. Our most recent stint in the hospital proves that. Keep doing what you know is right and keep fighting for your little man and you can't go wrong. Remember that he is perfect just the way he is!!!

I also wanted to let you know that my neighbor's son was just diagnosed with Apraxia....he is 4 and it took this long to get a "real" diagnosis. She blogs about that as well as her life raising 4 kids (oldest is 5) with kiddo #5 on the way. I can't remember her blog address, but it is on my sidebar (raising saints). I can get it for you if you want it....just let me know!!

Christie & Roger said...

I don't know what to say except that it's only natural to worry. You're doing everything right - keep doing what you're doing and one day it will all come together for him. Look how far he's come already!

Kameron said...

I don't blame you for being concerned. You are a great mom, and part of that is worrying about your child. Michelle is right htouhg, some kids don't even talk much at all until they are almost 3, and that is with no pallate issues. I would just keep woring with him and try not to let it get you too upset or frustrated. He might be able to sense your anxiety around it and start to get get frustrated himself.

Oh and I know I still owe you that recipe! I realized that I never measure any of the spices when I make it, so on Tuesday I am making it and am going to measure so I can post the recipe!

Mary Kay said...

Just keep working with him. Give him love and when you start worring try to remind yourself of how healthy he is and be thankful for that. It is very hard as a parent. I still worry every night that one of the babies will stop breathing or will get choked on a blanket or someone will come in and steal one...that is how crazy being a parent can make us. Know that your worry is a sign that you are doing everything you can for him. Vent anytime you want! We are all here for you.

Kelly Rogers said...

You are a wonderful mom and doing a great job with Drew. All of us moms understand the need to talk (or in this case - blog) when we are worried about our children. We are here for you and support you in everything you are doing. Just keep showing Drew the unconditional love that I know you give him and continue working with him. Please keep us posted on his progress. Take care!

Mommy3 said...

Don't feel like you are complaining! It is worrisome for us mothers when something, anything is going on with our children medically. And honestly, all our son says is "mama" he even calls his dad and his sister "mama" as well as me. It's his ONLY word and yes, that worries me. He turned 2 in August. And for some reason in my mind, 2 was the magical number where I thought he would start having all kinds of words. Thanks for "finding" me through Heather's blog. It's nice to not be so alone. And Lucas' evaluation said he has a motor speech disorder with characteristics of apraxia. It was overwhelming to me and I have noticed I am more sensitive when people, total strangers and even extended family, ask why he isn't talking...my grandma even goes as far as saying he is being "lazy"...and it annoies me because he can't control this! AHHHH!!!! Sorry....kinda went off on a tangent there. Just know you are not complaining. It feels good to get things off our chest.