Monday, July 7, 2008

Prayers for Drew Please (and us too!)


Drew's palate surgery is set for this Thursday (July 10th). It seems to have quietly crept upon us. I can only keep telling myself that God will watch over him and the doctors and that everything will be OK. But last night while I lay in bed, I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. Oh what I would give if only my precious little boy didn't have to go through this...
A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across this "surgery prayer" on one of the cleft sites I visit and I thought that now would be a great time to post it:

Dear Doctor:
Please remember
That little face you are
Reconstructing is more than
Muscle and Tissue and Bone.
It is the smile that fills
My heart with joy and
Swells my chest with pride
And brings life and meaning
Into my every day.

And when it is you and him
Behind the Big Doors,
And me in the little room,
Waiting,
Please remember
You are working with more
Than just a life.
You have in your hands
A reason for living
As well.

And as you look upon your
Little patient,
A mere few pounds of person,
Remember that he is cherished,
And not by me alone,
But by the many
Whose lives have been touched
And enriched by his.

And, Doctor,
I will also remember
That I have chosen to trust you,
And to trust your skills,
And that by choice
I have entrusted his face
And his life
Into your skilled hands.

But for these next few hours,
While you and he
Hide behind the Big Doors,
And I wait in the little room,
I hope you don't mind
If I also choose
To pray.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krissy - My prayers are with your family and Drew for Thursday. I am sure everything will go smoothly and you can focus on getting Drew recovered and put this part of his life behind him for good.
He looks like he really enjoyed the fireworks!

Allison said...

We will be thinking of you and Drew on Thursday. I know it's hard for everyone, but like before, you will all make it through. Best wishes, and hugs and kisses to Drew from Abby!

Darcy said...

Krissy, a lot of us cleft moms have shed the same tears. {{{HUGS}}} Thoughts and prayers are with you for the palate repair.

Christie & Roger said...

Prayers are coming your way. I'll be thinking of you, Jon, and Drew over the next few days. It's the start of a new journey for you.

The Ski's said...

Ahhhh..we are thinking of you and will keep you all in prayer tomorrow and the following days ahead. We will check back often to see how things are going...and we will hope that all goes even smoother than expected! Hugs to all!

Adawk said...

I do not know how I came across your blog, but I am glad I did. I hope your sweet baby's surgery went well. Our Avie is scheduled to have her palate surgery in October.

Mary said...

Hope things went well. We've been thinking about you all!