Sunday, November 16, 2008

ER (and no I'm not talking about the TV show)

My mom (who lives about 30 minutes from us) typically keeps Drew on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. So on most Thursday nights, Drew stays the night with them so he doesn't have to be on the road so much. Plus, it gives Jon and I time to "do our own thing." I usually choose to go shopping(!) while Jon prefers to go to his friend's house to work on the Bronco.

So, while peacefully sleeping on Friday morning, the phone rings at about 3:15am. First, let me say, that I HATE middle of the night phone calls because it always seems to be bad news. This time was no different. It was my mom and she said that Drew was running a really high fever (104) and was throwing up so she was taking him to the ER. Jon and I hopped up, got dressed, and drove the 30 mile trip to the ER in my mom's town. When I got there (Jon and I drove separate b/c I knew I would stay the night at mom's while Jon would need to go back home so he could go to work) they had given him Motrin and were getting ready to do a chest x-ray, which was clear. He ended up having strep throat and ear infections in both ears (which I'm not sure I understand since he has ear tubes???). We were there for about 2.5 hours. They drew blood and gave him an antibiotic shot in both sides of his booty, which made him very mad!! When we got back to my mom's, I laid down with him and when he woke up at 9:30am, he was back to his usual self! I decided to go ahead and go into work and my mom kept him. His fever did come back up later that day, but he seems to be doing pretty good. He is on an antibiotic for 10 days and we're giving him Tylenol and/or Motrin as needed.

Here he is yesterday -- his normal happy self!!



And how funny it is to just see Drew strolling around the house!!

3 comments:

The Ski's said...

Check out the blog, Krissy....there is something there for YOU!

So sorry to hear of your scare...never fun. I am glad Drew seems to be on the mend. Prayers for that to continue!

Heather said...

Glad he's doing better... I HATE those middle of the night phone calls too. It IS always bad news!! I can't believe he had strep AND two ear infections. geez, poor guy. I am so worried about Aidan's ears. Do you take Drew swimming? I've heard swimming can cause more ear infections, and was wondering if you cleft mommies took your kids swimming.

So, did you take his clothes back and get the next size up? My Gymboree didn't have the football collection anymore. I just love their collections. I want every piece! It's kind of like dressing for dummies - everything goes together! When I was there, I kept thinking, "Oh, I could totally see this on Drew!" : )

Darcy said...

Poor little guy. Hope the infections are cleared up and he's back to normal. Yeah, kinda confusing how you can get ear infections when you have tubes in your ears, but it happens. Stinks. But it does happen.