Friday, November 21, 2008

Never Take for Granted Your Smile!

One thing I am doing this year is donating to Operation Smile. Some of my colleagues are donating too! We are hoping to have enough to give someone a new smile, which is $240. To see Operation Smile's Holiday Gift Catalog, click on the below link...

https://secure.operationsmile.org/site/Ecommerce?ecommerce=store_list&ts=1220980463910&store_id=1321

I think about how fortunate Drew has been to receive such top-notch medial care and it literally brings tears to my eyes thinking about all of the kids that must wait for their surgeries and endure "being different" just because of where they live.

My blogging buddy Darcy recently had a link on her blog where you could follow an Operation Smile mission and it was very touching, but also very sad because of all the kids that had to be turned away. (403 patients were screened, but only 111 patients could be operated on.)

It's great to know that the donation we will be making will have such a huge impact on someone for the rest of their life!!

4 comments:

amanda said...

Camden's doctors told me at her 2 month check up to keep on feeding her on her NICU schedule (every 4 hours). I guess they want her big and chunky. She goes right back to sleep when I put her back in bed.

That is such a sweet charity. I read some stories about people being afraid of children with clefts in some parts of the world. Its heartbreaking.

Allison said...

Hey Krissy,

What a wonderful thing to be doing. It feels so good knowing that another child out there will have a new smile, and you helped make it happen. We did this last year instead of gifts for our families, and encouraged them to do the same.

Way to go!!!

Heather said...

Wow, what an awesome thing you're doing!! I need to tell Chad about that. I've watched so many infomercials on Operation Smile and get so sad seeing the kids that are "rejected" for surgery. : ( And their clefts are always so much worse than our kids' clefts.

So, I've decided when Aidan turns 1, we're spending the money and getting professional outdoor pics. Our studio session yesterday was a disaster!!! I'll post about it when the pictures are up online. Ugh.

And yes, that "2 little boys..." line was stolen from "Goodnight Moon!" I should've put "2 little boys, playing with toys" to make it rhyme, but that's not what they were doing! : ) I love that book. I get a little tired reading it every night, so I started singing it and making up different tunes. That's the dorky music teacher in me.

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

Our good-bye gift from our Sunday School class was exactly that. They donated enough money as a class to buy a smile in Adalynn's name. I think that is the best gift ever.