While my mom had him on Thursday, she just didn't think he felt good and he had a rash, so she loaded him up and took him to the local doctor in her town (and yes, she is the grandma that has taken him to the ER twice...see here and here). Anyway, the doctor said that his tonsils were swollen and that the rash was a sign of strep throat so he was going to put him on an antibiotic. My mom told him that I didn't want Drew on an antibiotic unless we knew for sure that it was strep throat (versus a virus). So they did the strep throat test. Now, I don't know about you, but when I was tested for strep throat a few months ago, I got the results in about 5 minutes. Not the case here. When my mom called back on Friday to get the results, they said it would take 3 days! So, to be on the safe side, we went ahead and started giving him the antibiotic. Fast forward to today when I decided to call the doctor's office to see what the test results were and they tell me negative (!) but to keep giving him the antibiotic (?).
After hearing that, I decided to make Drew an appointment with his normal pediatrician for tomorrow for three reasons: Number 1: I don't want him taking an antibiotic if he doesn't have a bacterial infection, but I want to make sure before I stop giving it to him. Number 2: He still has a raised rash on the back of his neck which is kind of bothering me. And number 3: They said that one ear was so full of wax that they couldn't even see his ear tube. I thought we would be going for his cleft team visit next month (since it was in May last year) but found out today that it isn't until July 31st, so I need to know if he needs to go see the ENT doctor before then to get it cleaned out.
I'll tell you, there always seems to be something! And to top things off, two of the other supposed times he had strep throat, he didn't get tested for it...so who knows if it has ever been strep (other than the one time he did test positive for it at his regular pediatrician's office).
On to a more pleasant subject...my "little" brother turned 17 years old today! It is so hard to believe the the baby that came into my life when I was a Freshman in high school is all grown up!! Happy Birthday Colby :o)


4 comments:
Yay, what a good birthday your brother has!! Seems so weird to think of you having a younger sibling though. And especially that you were in high school when he arrived!
What a hassle over the strep! I can't believe he ended up being negative. And too bad your next appt. isn't until July. Don't you love how they schedule things? We just found out Aidan's palate surgery will be July 21st. Fun summer. : (
Hey I just now got your comment on my blog. Yes the drool issue still makes me mad that Azlan has completely been overlooked yet with such a persistant mama. My speech therapist said "Janice not every speech therapist specializes in Oral-Motor so they can miss this" sad. Hopefully this helps your little man get the attention he needs sooner than us:) He's as beautiful as ever!!!
I hate it when doctor's say the test was neg but take the antibiotics anyway. They are the reason we are getting crazy strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria! I hope he feels better soon!
Best wishes with the follow-up doctor appt!
Post a Comment