Monday, July 21, 2008

Speech Therapy

First of all, I have to mention that Drew slept through the night last night and didn't wake up once! I am hoping this means he is getting back on track with his sleep schedule!

This morning, Drew's speech therapist came by for a visit. She worked with him a few times before his palate surgery, but now that his palate has been repaired, she will probably be coming to work with him more often.

Right before his palate surgery I noticed that he was trying to say "ball," which are his favorite toys. But because his palate wasn't repaired, it sounded like "mall."

I'm no speech therapist, but what I have learned about speech during this process is that those of us without a cleft palate have a flap in the back of our throats that keeps air from coming out of our noses when it isn't suppose to. I think the only sounds that are suppose to come out of our noses are "m" and "n." Drew had no flap so every noise he made came out of his nose and basically sounded like an "m." So even if he was trying to say "da da" it would sound like "ma ma."

Part of the palate surgery was to reconstruct that flap. In some cases, the initial repair isn't enough to keep air from coming out of the nose and a second repair is necessary, but you typically won't know this until the child is old enough to speak really well (maybe around 3). I guess I wasn't sure what to expect after the palate surgery. A part of me thought (and hoped) that he would now be able to pronounce everything correctly. However, I think he has to learn how to use his new flap because "ball" still sounds like "mall." I also think he tries to say "bear" and "book," but again they all kind of have the same "m" sound.

If any parents whose child has already had their palate repaired can let me know how their child did/is doing with speech, I would appreciate it!!!

And now a few pics...
Watching Baby E at his new table!


Baby McDonald is funny!!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hey Krissy,

I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you and Drew. Sorry, I don't have experience with the palate and speech, otherwise I'd be able to help! Hang in there, he'll do great after he figures it out!