Monday, August 4, 2008

Palate Follow-Up Appt

Today we headed to St. Louis at about 7am. I woke Drew up at 6:30am, which is about an hour and a half earlier than he is use to getting up. I thought (and hoped!) he would fall asleep after we got going, BUT leave it to Drew to wait to fall asleep until 20 minutes before we got there!! He was so tired, but would just not give in and fall asleep.

His appointment was at 10am. It was probably around 11 before we actually got to see his doctor. He asked how he was doing and then attempted to look in his mouth. He basically had to pry his mouth open while Drew was screaming -- not fun! He said that everything looked good (no holes!), but that there were still a lot of stitches so it wasn't impossible for a hole to develop, but it was unlikely. He said the stitches should finish dissolving during the next two weeks and that Drew was free to eat whatever he wanted. So, I guess it's time to say goodbye to baby food for good.

After Drew's examination, the doctor said that he had just finished talking with a family that were expecting a baby with a cleft lip (they weren't sure about the palate yet) and he asked if I would speak with them and let them see Drew. Of course I said yes! I talked with them for a while, gave them my email address, and also this blog site, so maybe they will be joining us soon on here!!

We went to the mall after we were finished at the hospital. Whitney got a lot of cute shirts for school and Grandma bought Drew a few more pieces from the football line from Gymboree (so cute!!). And I got a new Cardinal's shirt to wear to the game that we are going to in September!

It was a very busy day. We didn't get home until around 7:30pm. Needless to say, Drew had no problems falling sleeping tonight!!

OK, so I had some pics from today, but when I try to upload them, it keeps telling me it can't because of an internal error...guess I'll have to try again tomorrow...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Glad to hear Drew's appt. went well (except for the screaming/lack of sleep part)... I'm praying for no holes!!

About the BabyLegs... go to www.babylegs.com and check out the "ways to wear" and "community." There are quite a few older kids - mostly girls in ballet, but I think Drew could wear them! I thought they were girly too. My friend bought me a pair of the "Heather Rainbow" (grey w/rainbow stripes) and I just haven't tried them... but now I'm going to! And I think they'll work great over the arm splints after his surgery! : ) I might take a picture and send it in!

Anonymous said...

that is great news about Drew's surgery - it sounds like he is healing well. I am sure he will be happy to go back to adult food

Adawk said...

Glad to hear the appt went good and that you were able to talk to that family, I am sure you gave them some peace by them seeing how cute Drew is.

I had the same problems with pics last night...trying to upload 1st day of school.