Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Look Back to 2 Years Ago

Since I didn't start my blog until Drew was almost one, I like to go back and document some of the big events that happened during his first year. And one of those big events happened exactly two years ago today. It wasn't an exciting or fun milestone, though. It was the date of Drew's first surgery. This is what I wrote on my MySpace blog...

Drew's first surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday (Aug. 22nd) at St. Louis Children's Hospital. This surgery is called a "lip adhesion." A lip adhesion basically involves sewing the edges of the cleft together, and then going back about 6 months later to perform the actual repair. The lip adhesion has the benefit of reducing the tension on the final repair, and potentially making the scar narrower. It will also push his gum ridges together.

I have such mixed emotions about his surgery. One part of me doesn't know how I am going to hand over my perfectly healthy little boy to a team of doctors and nurses for a 3 hour surgery. That part of me is also so scared for him to have to go through surgery at such a young age and for him to have to be in pain. Then there is my "fear" of seeing him for the first time... The other part of me (the rational side I guess you would call it) knows that this has to be done and that it's for his own good, but it's still hard.

So please say a little prayer for Drew and for the doctors that will be operating on him. I know in my heart that God will watch over him and that everything will be fine!
~Krissy


We went to St. Louis the night before and my mom came with us. I remember being in the hotel room and getting some last minute pics of Drew and his "first face."

This one totally cracks me up! On MySpace I named it, "They're going to do what to me tomorrow????" You've gotta find humor in moments like these!


Love this pic of the two of us!


The day after surgery and back at home!


One week later...


And a cute one from 12 days later -- finally no more blood!


It is probably true when people say that these surgeries are harder on the parents because the kids are so little that they won't remember them, but that sure doesn't make it any easier. I'm just so proud of Drew for so many things -- one of those being what he has had to go through in his short little life and how well he has handled everything. And while I know that he still has more obstacles to face, I believe that he will come through them all with flying colors!

I blogged about his second lip surgery here and his palate surgery here (and I hope there are no more surgeries to blog about for a while!!)


6 comments:

Kelly Rogers said...

Reading your blog brought back all those same emotions for me. Especially since we just went through it 2 months ago! I think most of us cleft mommies feel the same way before our babies go in for surgery. It was tough, but I knew it was the best thing for Gavin. Drew looks absolutely precious in the pictures. He has healed so nicely, too! They did a great job.

Joy Howse said...

Love looking at the pictures from 2 years ago. LOVE the frog shirt in the one week post-op pic. :) Our little ones are so special, and I know for me, I am SO blessed to be chosen as Aiden's mommy, as you are with Drew.

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

What a great post. I never realized that Drew had a surgery before his lip repair. Also, a reminder for our 2 year anniversary which is coming up in a few weeks. Wow, has it really been 2 years? Oh my!!!!

Christie & Roger said...

It's so amazing to see how far he's come. One day, he'll realize and appreciate all that you are able to do for him - all the research that went into his treatment plan, all the meetings with doctors, and all the surgeries.

Alicia W. said...

WOW! It's unreal and truly a blessing to see how far he has come with his surgery. Your such a fantastic mother and he is lucky to have you. :)

Kameron said...

Those arm things just crack me up. Sorry, I digress! It must be so hard to watch your baby have to go through painful surgeries. I cry when Natey had to get blood drawn so I can't imagine going through that 3 times already. You and Heather are strong ladies. I would probably break down into mush!