Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend in St. Louis -- Team Visit & Zoo!

Dear Drew ~ Friday was your team visit with the Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Institute at St. Louis Children's Hospital. You had your first team visit last May. This year's visit was called a "mini team" because we didn't have to see as many people. This meant that we didn't have to be there as early, so instead of going up the night before, we headed to St. Louis early Friday morning -- me, you and Daddy.

Your appointment was at 11:00 am and we were signing in at right about 10:58--nothing like cutting it close! We hung out in the waiting area for a bit and I couldn't help but check out the other kids since I never see other cleft-affected kids in real life. I always thought it would be a great idea if after the appointments they had a reception of some sorts so all the parents and kids could get together and chat. Maybe I should suggest that to them...

The first person we saw was an ENT resident. She examined you ears, nose, and throat of course! She said the right ear was full of wax so she couldn't tell if the tube was still in or not (You had your first set of ear tubes at just 8 weeks old and a second set put in right after you turned one). The tube was still in the left ear though. We told her about the issues with your throat and when she looked at it, she said your tonsils were red. Also, she said that they weren't really big, but they weren't small either and that we would discuss it more later. Right then she wanted to take us up to the ENT area to get your ear cleaned out. We've been through that before so I wasn't looking forward it...

Up into the dentist-like chair you went with me holding your legs, Daddy holding your arms, and a nurse holding your head while the ENT resident looked into your ear with a microscope and used a sharp metal pick to try to get the wax out. You were pretty calm at first, but that didn't last for long. I kept watching her pull the tool out of your ear with nothing on it time and time again while you got madder and madder. I guess that wax was stuck! Finally she started to make some progress, but by that time you were pretty ticked! She even got the tube out too, which was loose in your ear. She said that when the tube came out, it caused all that wax to collect in your ear. So now your right ear is wax and tube free! She also "recommended" we have your tonsils removed, but after discussing it with the main ENT doc, said that it wasn't a good idea because kids with cleft palates sometimes use that tissue when they speak so removing them can cause further speech problems, which we definitely don't want!

After that bit of drama, we headed in for your hearing test. (Your last hearing test was back in September.) There I was sitting in this little dark, sound proof room with you on my lap and I could see your reflection in the glass in front of us. You would hear the noise and look over to the little black box, which would light up and "reward" you with a moving puppy/oinking pig. Then you would look back over to the technician and flash her a huge smile! The results were that you were in normal range for at least one ear, which means you can hear good enough to develop normal speech. When you get older, they can do more accurate tests to see how each ear performs. Last of all, the audiologist did a test to check your ear pressure. Based on the results of this, she thought your left tube was not working correctly, so back to the waiting room we went to be seen by the ENT doc again.

When a different doctor took a look at it, she said that there was a small piece of wax blocking the tube so she gave us a prescription for some antibiotic ear drops to use for 5 days. We'll go back in 6 months for another hearing test and to see the ENT doc. Hopefully, you'll do fine without your ear tube in the right ear and HOPEFULLY you won't have to get tubes again!

An hour and a half later, and we were back in the waiting room. Next up, speech! I really like your team therapist Mary. We last saw her in November, and she is always good about responding to my emails when I have questions. Based on what we told her about your speech and what she observed, she would like for us to come up for another 2-hour session with her, so hopefully I can get that set up soon.

Last stop of the day -- your plastic surgeon, Dr. Kane. Before he came in, we saw his "fellow" and then in came Dr. Kane with three more people!! He took a look inside your mouth (which we had been practicing!) and thought that your pallet and lip looked great! In his opinion, your next surgery won't be until your bone graft (probably around age 9). Of course things can always change, but we'll hope that you stay "surgery free" until then!! I must admit that I felt a bit awkward in a room with so many doctors so I didn't really ask all of the questions I had planned on asking...I'll just have to be better prepared for next year -- hope he is!!

It was 2:00 and we were finally done, so we had a quick lunch in the hospital cafeteria and then headed to check into a hotel! We thought that we would make the trip to St. Louis into a mini-vacation. Now that the doctor stuff was over, it was time for some fun!

After a short nap in the car, we hung out in the hotel for a bit and watched TV. Then we went to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner. This was your second time there and you were just as fascinated with everything this time as you were last time!


After we made it back to the hotel, we went for a quick dip in the hotel swimming pool. Then Saturday morning, it was off to the zoo! Despite trying to get there early, we didn't make it there until 11...

One of the first things we saw at "The River's Edge" was fish!


Then it was the hippos. One of them was right up by the glass and I tried to get you to stand by it, but I think you were a little freaked out. I can't say I blame you though...look how close it was!


Then we saw a "snake" and while I was taking your picture by it, someone said "give it a kiss," and well, you did!


Your favorite part might have been the elephants (one of your fave animals right now!)...



Then it was time for the Children's zoo and you LOVED the goat exhibit!!



After we left this area, it started to rain. And not just a little bit! Luckily before the down pour really got going, we took shelter in "The Living World" which had a nice cafeteria in it. So we had lunch, bought some ponchos at the gift stand and kept enjoying our day!

You really loved watching the puffins splash. This was the look on your face as you watched them!


Then we rode the carousal, took a train ride, and hit the road.



It was a busy but fun trip!

7 comments:

Joy Howse said...

Wow, that is a busy, informative, but fun filled two days!! I would be scared of that hippo too, that thing was super close to the glass. Too close for my comfort.

Thanks for the update and hope you and the whole family have a very blessed week.

Kameron said...

It sounds like he is coming a long great! I hope you can avoid more strep throat issues so they don't need to remove his tonsils.

That zoo looks fun! Did he go napless for the weekend? Natey napped in the car during our crazy weekend and I hope it doesn't bite me in the butt this week!

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

Sounds like you all had a successful team visit and mini-vacation rolled into one! Love the pics! Especially the one where he is kissing the snake!

Daysha Robinson said...

I love the one of him hugging the goat!!!! Love his outfit at the zoo!! He looks adorable :-)

Mary Kay said...

Yeah for Drew doing so well at the doctor's office. Glad things are going well.
LOVE the zoo! I took Kyrah there this summer and she had a ball.

Nola said...

Glad for a good team visit and for a fun-filled vacation! Drew is so cute! Love him hugging the goats...too precious!

Alicia W. said...

I'm so happy to hear that he is doing better. What a fun place you guys visited. We have a zoo not too far from our home and it's a freakin mad house in the summer so I try to wait when it cools down a bit and the kiddies are back in school. :)