Last night, we had baked chicken and veggies. For Drew, I made some cheesy rice that already had carrots and broccoli in it and then I cut his chicken up and added it to the rice. When he just sat in his chair refusing to even try it, I knew exactly what I would do. First, I would just let him sit there for a bit while we ate. Then I would let him down, wrap up his plate and give it to him again after his bath. As always, he ate every last bite after his bath -- and even used his spoon most of the time! (As a side note, we eat dinner late -- it was actually 6:30 last night and he hadn't even had an afternoon snack, so he should have been hungry!)
This is a very different strategy from what my great-grandma would have done. While watching him last Friday afternoon while my mom took Whitney to a softball meeting, Mama L said Drew "didn't like" what mom had fixed him, so what does a loving great-great-grandma do? Fixes him biscuits with butter of course!
The moral of my tale -- don't give up on giving your child food if he refuses it the first time around. I mean, I don't know how many times I served him green beans before he ever ate them!
(This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I thought it was cute!)


4 comments:
Ok, I'm not feeling so bad right now!! I am such a picky eater too. I do like salad (love it, actually), but I'm just too lazy to make it for myself. I turn my nose up at things I haven't tried too!!! And like you, I'm super worried about Aidan's eating habits. Good to hear that if I keep shoving green beans at him, he might eventually like them (this is the kid who won't even eat peaches! It's a texture thing).
Amazing he ate the whole plate after dinner! I can always get Aidan to eat more after he's had something he likes (like veggie booty). : )
p.s. Aidan's still eating some pureed food - when did Drew stop?
I have expanded my eating options 500% since I met my hubby. I would always say I didn't like things I had never tried, but now we have an agreement that I will try everything once. If I don't like it he has to leave me alone, but I have to give it a chance. It has turned out great! I found I love so many different things and it makes my life so much easier.
I agree with feeding the boys. Sometimes Natey will be a brat and not want to eat right away but we find a way to trick him into taking one bite and then he usually gobbles it all up!
Such good advice! I'll have to remember that for later!
This is comforting. Ian is so picky! He's not into baby food anymore, but not into much adult food...unless it's cookies :)
Post a Comment